GOM Player codecs needed? I installed Gom Player but for some odd reason GOM will not play an MP4 video file. What codec does Gom need to play this file?
GOM Player codecs needed?
Gom Player does not need a codec to play. The file but you need to check the setting in Gom player to ensure that it will play the video file. See also the C00D10D1 error on GOM. Most of the issues with GOM Player tends to be where people want to play a file that has been encoded with the MKV codec. This you can correct by installing the Lazy Man’s MKV or the Matroska which will then allow GOM player to play the MKV file. If this fails then see the other options below.
GOM Player issues
GOM Player is a media player that can play a wide range of video and audio formats. However, if you are experiencing codec issues with GOM Player, there are a few things you can try to resolve the issue:
- Update GOM Player: Make sure you have the latest version of GOM Player installed. This can be done by going to the official website and downloading the latest version.
- Install the appropriate codecs: GOM Player uses codecs to play media files. If the codecs required to play a specific file are not installed, you may experience issues. You can try installing the codecs manually or using a codec pack.
- Check the file format: Make sure the file you are trying to play is in a format that is supported by GOM Player.
- Check for any conflicts: Make sure that there are no other media players or codecs installed on your computer that may be conflicting with GOM Player.
- Try playing the file with a different media player: If you are still experiencing issues, try playing the file with a different media player to see if the issue is specific to GOM Player.
- Reinstall GOM player.
GOM Issues and Solutions
If none of the above steps resolve the issue, the file may be damaged or unsupported and you may not be able to play it. Open the Gom player program. Now Right click on it, then click on preferences. To the left find the “filter” tab and click on it. At the top click on the second tab over “disable filters”.
See also other issues such as I get green dots when watching on VLC or Gom? as well as the Can I play an .avi file on WIndows Media but I can through Divx? and the AVI files cant play in divx or windows media player as well.
In disable filters uncheck ffdshow audio decoder and ffdshow video decoder. Scroll down and also uncheck intervideo audio decoder and intervideo video decoder. Close it out and close the player. Now your gom player will play the video. You can also change associations which will make Gom the default player for MP4 files.
Surveillance Video Playback
The surveillance video playback may not work with GOM Player as the video codec for it may not be in there. The video format tends to be GMP4 which is a different codec that mainly GeoVision uses. These are product specific but this might also be a problem is it is surveillance products you are using. The MPEG-4 codec here is used to compress digital video streams, reducing their size while maintaining their quality, making it easier to store, transmit, and playback video files.
When you download the file below this warning will appear in Chrome. Simply ignore this and extract the files.
This is the GeoVision MPEG4 video codec.
How to install the GMP4 Codec
- Download the ZIP file below and extract the content.
- Now Double Click on the directory named “v8400Codec”
- Then Right-Click on the file called “GEOX.inf”
- Then Click on “Install”
- Windows will then install the Codec for you.
- Restart your computer for the Codec to work
- You should then be able to play GMP4 files on GOM Player.