Download the PotPlayer media player here. The potplayer or KMPlayer Reloaded was created by the same developer as KMPlayer. Since it has its own filters, any external codecs will not be used by the player. Much like the VLC media player. Potplayer can play broken files as well. These include files that have not completed download from say a torrent download.
PotPlayer is a media player software much like real alternative and MPC-HC. It was developed by South Korean Internet company Kakao. Now it is also available for Windows and can play a wide variety of video and audio formats, including DVD and Blu-ray discs. It also has features such as support for various subtitles, built-in codecs, and support for various skins and plugins. It is a popular player in South Korea and has a large user base worldwide. See also the HEVC Video Extension as well.
Accordingly the player has built-in internal filters. It will allow the media to decode and play various video and audio formats without the need for external codecs. These internal filters include:
- Video Codecs: H.264, H.265, VP8, VP9, and many others
- Audio Codecs: MP3, AAC, FLAC, WMA, and many others
- Subtitle Codecs: SRT, SUB, SSA, ASS, and many others
Certainly, if not installed, the player will not decode the following: AAC, AAC LATM, AC3, EAC3, TrueHD, MLP, DTS
These internal filters allow PotPlayer to play a wide variety of media files without the need for additional codecs or software. Additionally, PotPlayer also support DirectShow filter, and you can use external codecs through it. You can download additional codecs for Potplayer below.
Open Codec for Potplayer
Firstly, as you will know the player uses the Open Codec feature. This feature allows users to add external codecs to the media player. With the Open Codec feature supporting codecs that are compliant with the DirectShow filter standard. Some examples of these codecs that can be used with the Open Codec feature in the player include:
- Xvid codec: the open-source codec that can be used to compress or decompress video files
- ffdshow: the well-known codec that decodes video and audio formats such as H.264, MPEG-4, and many others
- LAV Filters: the open-source DirectShow filter that can be used to play a wide variety of video and audio formats.
- AC3Filter: finally the codec that can be used to decode and play audio files encoded in the AC3 format.
Finally, the codecs do change from time to time. If you are not sure which codec you need. Then use MediaInfo Lite and the codec tweak tool which will tell you what codec is needed for a video or audio file. Accordingly, then simply search this website for the codec or filter that is needed. There is no need to continually download the open codec pack for the Daum Potplayer. See also the media player classic for another player.
Open Codec for Potplayer